Need Some Ideas to Celebrate With Some Aruba Flair At Home?
Here's our idea of a special Valentine’s Day treat Aruba style with Caribbean Spiced Rum Cake and the Absolute Lover cocktail!
Rum Cake Ingredients
· 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
· 1/4 cup corn starch
· 1/4 cup powdered milk
· 4 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
· 1 1/2 cups natural granulated sugar
· 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
· 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
· 4 extra large eggs
· 1/2 cup dark spiced rum, or dark rum
· 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon almond extract
· 1 1/2 cups crushed pineapple, drained and juices reserved for glaze (from 20 ounce can)
· 1/4 cup almond meal for dusting the pan
Spiced Rum Syrup Ingredients
· 1/2 cup unsalted butter
· 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 cup pineapple juice, reserved from can
· 1/2 cup spiced rum
1. Preheat the oven. Spray a 12-cup bunt pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with almond meal.
2. Beat. With an electric mixer, beat the softened butter and granulated sugar. In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients together, including the shredded coconut. Then beat the dry mixture into butter mixture. It will be crumbly.
3. Whisk in the wet: coconut milk, eggs, rum, extracts, and drained crushed pineapple together, and add to the mixer. Beat until combined.
4. Bake. Pour the batter into the pan and bake until golden. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake, to test if it’s done.
5. Simmer the syrup. On medium heat with the spiced rum, bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until it begins to thicken slightly.
6. Poke. With a wooden skewer, poke holes throughout the cake. Then slowly pour the syrup over it, allowing it to absorb until all the syrup is gone.
7. Make the glaze. Mix the glaze ingredients, adding more powdered sugar to reach your desired consistency. It should be very thick.
8. Toast the coconut in a small dry skillet, over medium heat. Stir until the coconut is golden-brown. Sprinkle over the cake.
Learn How To Make The "Absolut Lover"
1-1/4 oz Absolut Vodka
3/4 oz Peach Brandy
3/4 oz Apricot Brandy
4 oz pineapple juice
Dash of Grenadine
Shake and serve on ice!
This cocktail was created by Albert Tromp, which won the second place at the Bols competition in 1988.
Thanks To All Who Entered Our #TBT Photo Contest!
We had a blast seeing all the memories and good times we've shared in Aruba from our past guests, thank you to all who joined in using the tag #TBTamarijn. We love sharing our Island with our esteemed guests and making such fun memories together! Four winners were selected in January of 2021 to win one night towards a future trip to the Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive in a Premium Oceanfront room, and we can’t wait to welcome them back to Aruba soon.
#DADSFAVORITESONG FATHER'S DAY CONTEST
You can dance, You can jive
Friday night and the lights are low
—Dancing Queen by ABBA
#DIVITAMARIJNCOUPLE SECOND HONEYMOON CONTEST
To celebrate Valentine's Day, we launched a photo and caption contest - The winner was Cindy Faas, who received a 5-night stay for two at the Divi Aruba All Inclusive! The winner was selected based on the most creative image and the most touching story, read the touching story of love and togetherness from their winning entry:
"He asked for my hand over 14 years ago. Held my hand through 2 c-sections. Raised my hand through a year long cancer battle. And kissed my hand when I hit the 5 year cancer free mark this January.
My hubby, my champion, father of my children and best friend ❤️ I’d love to be able to give him back something so amazing as a romantic getaway just us two ❤️ this photo captures his spirit “if you’re in, I’m in” which was taken after chemo was done, but before the surgery and radiation that followed.